1800 863 863 enquiries@tme.edu.au
Select Page
TME provides supports and services for our international students to ensure they have a great studying experience in Australia. Please feel free to talk about any concerns oneline or offline in our campus with any TME staff.

Airport Pick-up & Accommodation Placement Service

If requested, international students are met on arrival at Melbourne Airport by an Institute representative and taken to their reserved accommodation. If you require airport pick-up travel arrangements and accommodation placement service, it must be selected in our application form or advise TME 1 month prior to your arrival. A charge of AUD$550 will apply by TME to all international students. To access this service, please fill out this form. This service cannot be guaranteed if the completed form is received less than one month prior to arrival in Melbourne. Accommodation Students have a number of accommodation options. The Institute assist students in locating suitable accommodation where students will pay an AUD$250 placement fee. This fee is payable to a homestay agency (not the Institute) and is subject to change. Requests for Homestay accommodation must be received one month prior to arrival. The Institute does not guarantee to find suitable accommodation for all international students but will provide assistance with searching for accommodation where required. Homestay Homestay offers accommodation in a private home with a host family. Students are provided with a furnished bedroom with study space. The host provides meals, but the student must pay for their own travel, telephone calls, entertainment and personal needs. The approximate weekly cost is AUD$250 to AUD$355 per week. 2-week deposit is required 2 weeks in advance to the host family. Rooming house or share house A popular option for students is to share an apartment or house which is normally rented through a real estate agent. Rental costs do vary dependant on type of property, number of bedrooms and location. Rent varies from AUD$200 to AUD$500 per week depending on the location and number of rooms. A month’s rent in advance and a bond equivalent of up to six weeks rent is required when renting a property. To rent a property from a real estate agent their rental application form must be filled out and they may require a reference letter and financial and identification proof. The majority of rental properties are unfurnished. Approximately AUD$2,000 to AUD$4,000 will be required for the above needs, household goods, gas, electricity and telephone connection. For further information on renting a property please refer to https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/resources-and-tools/international-students Permanent accommodation usually takes three to four weeks to arrange, depending on the type of accommodation required. Permanent accommodation cannot be arranged prior to arriving in Australia. These costs are indicative only and subject to change. Other Language Chinese Simplified

Careers and Employment

TME offer a specialist one to one employment service for international students to assist them in finding employment while living and studying in Australia. The service is dedicated to assisting international students find employment in Australia or Overseas and acts as a recruitment service for employers. The employment service will enhance your chances of finding employment while studying in Australia and enable you to gain valuable employment experience. The service has a specific focus on providing assistance with all aspects of finding employment including:
  • Resume workshops
  • Assistance with application letters and selection criteria
  • Job search assistance and advice
  • Coaching and guidance on how to approach employers
  • Access to vacancies advertised through the centre
  • Free job search resources
  • Industry-specific employment advice
  • Providing advice and assistance about how to find work in Australia or Overseas
  • Workshops on Australian workplace culture, how to effectively and appropriately approach employers
  • Interview preparation and assistance
We also offer a comprehensive recruitment service for employers who want to recruit students. The service advertises a range of positions including part-time, holiday and seasonal work. Please contact international@tme.edu.au or see our international department officer

International Student Liaison Officers

In addition to the Institute’s free Student Support Service, TME’s international student liaison officers attend to the welfare needs solely of international students. The liaison officers visit international students on regular base, listening to their concerns, offering counselling and linking students to the services they need. When students first arrive in Melbourne their needs vary widely; from accommodation assistance to personal safety advice, discovering where to buy the foods they like to learning how to use the public transport system, getting to understand Australian customs or just coping with loneliness and homesickness. Our international student liaison officers will spend time with students helping them to settle comfortably and safely in Melbourne and preparing them for life as a student at TME. Students quickly come to know that if they have a concern or a problem, no matter how big or small, the first person they can call is one of our international student liaison officers. The international student liaison officers can also liaise with trainers and educators and provide referral information for ongoing support if needed. Confidentiality Counselling is confidential. Nothing you say to a counsellor will be disclosed to a third party without your consent. Officer do speak about their work, in a professional way to other officers (who are also bound by confidentiality) for the purpose of reviewing the officerr’s work. Usually only the first name is used in order to protect the person’s privacy. Exceptions to confidentiality When the officer believes that your life or someone else’s is at risk. In this case, the officer will usually tell you of their concern and what they intend to do. The officermay need to contact other health professionals and/or your family depending on the nature of the risk. Feel free to ask your officer any questions you may have. To make an appointment for the above services: Email: International@tme.edu.au Phone: 03 9874 0812 If there is any emergency, please contact 0478698581


A comprehensive orientation program is delivered to international students one week prior to the beginning of the semester. Attendance at the program is compulsory for all international students commencing their formal course at the Institute. The program aims to help students become familiar with their course and campus, as well as all aspects of living and studying in Australia. Students will also be introduced to their trainers, meet fellow students, and become familiar with RTO administration and support services. Sessions at orientation include: Living part
  • lifestyle
  • health insurance
  • compliance with student visa requirements
  • safety (including fire safety, personal safety, policing and water safety)
  • using public transport
  • support services available at the Institute
  • orientation to local environment
  • employment rights and conditions and how to resolve workplace issues
  • policy and procedure to manage critical incidents
Academic part
  • adapting to Australian course requirements
  • study skills
  • enrolment (including timetable for current semester, booklist and student card)

Work conditions for student visa holders

If you are a student visa holder, you and your dependent family members have permission to work included with your visa. You and your family members must not breach the work conditions that apply to your student visa. Work conditions for student visa holders You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is out of session. Work that is formally registered as part of your course is not included in the 40 hours per fortnight restriction. Voluntary, unpaid work, is not included in the hours per fortnight restriction if it:
  • is of benefit to the community
  • is for a non-profit organisation
  • is genuinely voluntary (that is, you are not paid either in cash or other—board and lodging is acceptable).
If the voluntary work could have been undertaken by an Australian resident who would have received a wage, then this is included in the 40 hours. If you are a postgraduate research student:
  • you can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during any preliminary courses you undertake
  • if you have commenced your masters by research or doctoral degree in Australia, there is no limit on the number of hours you may work.
Family members granted permission to work Family members:
  • must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced their course in Australia
  • can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times unless the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctoral degree and holds a Student visa (subclass 500). In this case there is no limit on the number of hours a family member might work.
Fortnights A fortnight is a period of 14 days commencing on any Monday and ending on the second following Sunday. An example of how 40 hours a fortnight is calculated: After their course has commenced, a student visa holder works the following numbers of hours over a four week period:
  • week one – 15 hours work
  • week two – 25 hours work
  • week three – 25 hours work
  • week four – 10 hours work.
In the fortnight comprising weeks one and two above (40 hours worked in that 14 day period) or in the fortnight comprising weeks three and four above (35 hours worked in that 14 day period), the work condition is not breached. However, the student visa holder has breached their work condition in the fortnight comprising weeks two and three above (50 hours worked in that 14 day period). Students found to have breached their work conditions might be subject to cancellation of their visa. Defining course in session and out of session We consider your course to be in session:
  • for the duration of the advertised semesters, including exam periods
  • when you are undertaking another course, during a break from your main course and points from that course will be credited to your main course.
We consider your course to be out of session:
  • during scheduled course breaks
  • if your course has been deferred or suspended in line with Standard 13 of the ESOS Act
  • if you have completed your course as scheduled (as per the dates listed on your CoE) and still hold a valid student visa
  • if your enrollment has been cancelled due to the default of your education provider until you secure alternative enrolment and commence the course.
If more information is required, please refer to Department of Home Affairs http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/workplace-rights Fairwork https://www.fairwork.gov.au/find-help-for/visa-holders-and-migrants Worksafe https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/laws/ohs